12 WEEK EXERCISE PROGRAMS BREED YOYO’S AND SHOULD BE BANNED!
Are you a YOYO?
Summer is on the way and for many, this is the signal to hit the gym and change their diet in a frantic attempt to get into shape and lose that excess weight that has crept up on you over winter. Is there anything wrong with this?
12 week programs only line the pockets of those that are selling them! Read on…………
Ok, where will I start with this topic? While I spend my life trying to convince people to start exercising and to pay more attention to their eating habits, I continually get frustrated with those that think exercising for a couple of months of the year is acceptable or beneficial in the long term and somehow gives them the right to say they live a healthy lifestyle!
The problem with this is:
When you exercise like this you are YOYO exercising and you are always starting from a low strength or fitness base. You are always starting over. I once heard a very wise quote which was “If you are tired of always starting over, stop quitting” YOYO exercisers are quite often YOYO dieters and when you put your body into this cycle you will never be able to maintain a consistent weight range, your hormonal balance will be totally out of balance and as a result each year you will be gaining weight that you can’t control, you will also quite often pick up injuries when you do start exercising.
Due to the fact you have no balance in your food and exercise regime, another wonderful side effect of the YOYO principle is your moods will be all over the place. Moods can swing wildly, energy levels will run in huge peaks and troughs which can quite easily manifest in anxiety and depression or exacerbate pre- existing conditions. Oh and let’s not forget that If you pick up an injury due to the YOYO principal your new found (short term) enthusiasm for exercise is dulled and exercising 3 or 4 times per week may drop to nothing or if lucky once or twice per fortnight.
YOYO’s will also quite often suffer from back pain and or bowel conditions.
The Answers: (Do’s and Don’ts)
- We do need to be exercising to a reasonably intense level for our age minimum 3 – 4 times per week in addition to our 10,000 steps per day.
- Find a year round balance.
- Find just a little self-discipline.
- We don’t need to train like Olympic athletes,
- Don’t stop or get lazy, your exercise is for every week of every month, all year round. (Winter & Summer)
- Get different exercise programs that change things up that stop boredom setting in.
- Get exercise programs that work around injuries.
- Have session with a personal trainer who can write safe enjoyable programs for you.
- Stop making excuses.
- Stop believing that being covered by a layer of toxic fat is acceptable.
- Stop the excuses:
- It’s too hot.
- It’s too cold
- It’s too wet
- I’m too tired
- I’m too busy Blah, Blah, Blah!
- Just do it! Then it’s done! you’ll love yourself for it.
The Benefits of this are:
- Reduction in symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Reduced back pain.
- Reduced knee pain.
- Being able to stay in shape for your wife/husband/partner.
- Why should we just let ourselves go?
- Increased Libido (Sex drive) for males and females!
- Reduced reliance on pharmaceutical medications.
- Being able to play and be active with our children or grandchildren.
- Being Happier at home and at work.
- Being more productive at home and at work.
- More energy in general day to day activity
- The opportunity to live a longer, healthier, more active live.
- The ability to enjoy lavish meals from time to time, guilt free without any effect on your weight!
- Less bowel irritation.
- That horrible feeling of starting over again!
People don’t realize how long this list of advantages is. It can keep going and going and it is quite often something different for everyone. But for those who adopt this into their lives the result is the same: